Monday 3 March 2008

There once was a man from Nantucket...

Quite a few links in this blog update, but then I'm always all over the place each week on my mental map: so many interesting things to think about, and so little brain power. No, wait, that's not right...


Feb 25th - Monday again?


I worked the evening shift today, after spending the morning waiting for the mailman to arrive... but I must have missed him by a matter of minutes. I wanted to see inside my mailbox, to get a good look at the locking mechanism. I have to replace the lock with a new one, and of course it's the old catch-22: I can't see the lock without a key, but I need to SEE the lock to get a new one. Ironic.

Feb 26th - The Watchmen

I didn't wait for the mailman today. Nope. Just worked in the evening again. The usual lines for taxes, as it's that season now. Oh, the joy... at least animals don't have to worrk about taxes, just the occasional filmmaker with access to a video editor and a wacky idea. I also read deeper into The Watchmen graphic novel I picked up last week, it's as engrossing as I expected. There's also a movie in the works, which I hope will turn out better than this one did, as I'd had high hopes for it.

Feb 27th - Middle O'Th'Week Day OFF !


I had the day off... so of course, I was busy. At least I wasn't working Welfare today, which was a nice change... those lines are seriously long, all day. I spent some of the day writing some articles, and the rest of it sort of blurred into the various Things That Need Doing on a Day Off. On a nice note, my tax return came in today, so that was a good thing. Only took 10 days, thanks CRA!
I've also been catching up on some TV shows here and there with my PVR, watching them when I can. One I've started to like again is Total Drama Island, which has interesting characters, nice plot twists and a spunky animated style - it has a catchy opening tune too. Along with Clone High, I've been catching up on episodes... also, Clone High features the voice of Nicole Sullivan, who has been in more shows than any five other voice actors combined, something that I might aspire to if I can get into that field of work.
I also put my old Cogeco Digital Cable box up for sale in the FaceBook Marketplace... wow! I had a dozen responses to the ad within 30 minutes, totally unexpected; apparently a lot of people were looking for these things. Too bad most of them wanted to cheap out on shipping, even though the ad SAID I was in B.C. .. just goes to show people don't READ things through, even simple and short ads. Ah, human nature...

Feb 28th - Holy Taxes Batman ...

I worked the mid-morning shift, which turned out to be The Day Of Ten Taxes.... whew! All I got, all day long, were taxes... person after person with problems too, all of which meant calling the CRA to get confirmation on one thing or another. By day's end I didn't want to see another tax file... just too many to do, one after another. Yeesh. I spend some of the evening online on NWN with some friends, which was nice and definitely NOT as taxing!

Feb 29th - Last Day Of Feb( duh )

I worked at our Quadra store on the mid-morning shift today. Again I was struck by the different crowd that comes to this store, compared to the Douglas St. location, which has a high count of folks hard up for cash... among other things.
Which makes this place look all the more appealing. Just step inside and shop, you'll always have time. Maybe I can find my ultimate salad bowl there too, for my usual fave Caesar Salad... but in a bowl made out of bacon!!
I caught some of Damnation Alley on TV in the evening as I was doing other things, and I recalled how much I loved the movie for one thing only: the ultra-cool post-apocalyptic vehicle it featured, called the Landmaster. Amazingly, the vehicle has survived into the present day, having been far more than just a duct-tape and balsa-wood movie prop. Have a look at it here.

March 1st - Four Months

A new month, and it seems like only a little while ago I stepped off the plane here in Victoria. Four months have passed since I last saw some of my friends, but I'm pleased that I've been able to talk to most of them since. Miss y'all folks.
Worked the closing shift today, typically. Things seem to have swung around the other way at work stress-wise: I'm managing to cope with most of the operational stresses of Paperwork, so that's making everyone else Happy. So that's nice.
I am still considering building my own home here in Victoria at some point, if I can find a small bit of land to build one of these on. I figure it would be all I'd need, won't be too costly and has a log cabin beat hands down.

No comments: